05 August 2007

GOSPELS

There are three which I must share.

The first, by default and just-of-course-ness, is that of Jesus. For lack of a more than a million worthy words, "He's my man," as Julie Lee so adeptly put it, which brings me effortlessly to...



(this blank space makes me feel less-than-Christian, but that's one of the beautiful things about Jesus. He doesn't need my words.)

"Take Me Out to Hear the Band," the newest release from friend and soul sister Julie Lee. Her themes, melodies, harmonies, strummings of that soul-piercing steel guitar, phrases, and pure timelessness astound me anew. I JUST don't know how she does it. I can't stop listening to it, and the only other album that is having this effect on me currently is.....

"The Mezzanine," by The Nobility, formerly Jetpack UK. Full of toe-tapping, hand-clapping, heart-swelling, dreamy interluding, back-of-hand-to-the-forehead-sweet-swooning moments, and carefully crafted by these clever chaps, it is my latest addiction. Dangerously habit-forming. On top of all this goodness is the fact that the four bandmates are the most swell, kind-hearted, downright dapper fellows you'd ever have the pleasure of knowing.

I'm not normally this much of a salesperson, but I will personally buy back either of these albums from you who buy them and do not find them stunning. But then, kindly understand that I'll also have to swear you off as a friend. Prone to drama? Who, me?!