02 March 2010

GATHERING

When I got home today, there were three suspiciously bookish-shaped bubble mailers on my table. Hooray, Amazon! I've got a few more on the way, but the ones which arrived today were....


Not Becoming My Mother, Ruth Reichl
(Ruth is the former editor of Gourmet, as I've said way too many times, and her writing makes me giggle, drool and almost always sigh. Three of her subsequent books which I own, cherish and highly recommend are Tender At the Bone, Comfort Me With Apples and Garlic and Sapphires.)

Telling the Truth: The Gospel as Tragedy, Comedy and Fairy Tale, Frederick Buechner

Endless Feasts: Sixty Years of Writing From Gourmet, edited by Ruth Reichl

I've spent some time perusing new music lately. The way it happens for me is this: all of a sudden, I feel terribly weary of my iPod options and it's time, lickety-split, to procure at least five albums at once. Not the smartest budget-wise, but I follow my gut and my nose when and where they lead...


Sondre Lerche and The Faces Down Quartet, Duper Sessions
(I recall catching wind of this Norwegian honey-lamb back in '04 and wearing out his Two Way Monologue record.)

Melody Gardot, My One and Only Thrill
(a jazzy, swarthy chanteuse sort of gal. Diggable.)

Cat Power, Dark End Of the Street (EP)
(a whim, but I don't think it'll disappoint.)

That will have to do for now, 'til the next paycheck.