08 April 2010

TEQUILA

I name my iPod playlists after spirits. There's one called "scotch and rocks" which holds everyone from Gypsy Hombres to Neil Young, Stevie Ray Vaughan to Feist. Smooth and slow. There's one called "honey bourbon" which is a bit more sultry -- folks like Frank Sinatra, Sade, Ray Charles, Madeleine Peyroux, you know. Jazzy, swanky stuff. There's one called "tequila" too. It's filled with decidedly up-feeling tunes like "Clementine" from Pink Martini, "Reminiscing" by Little River Band, "Flowers In the Window" by Travis (wayback), "Doralice" by Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto, and my favorite, "He Needs Me," a variation on a Popeye theme by Jon Brion.

It's probably no surprise that, on a day like today, I've been listening to "tequila." Thursdays are my favorite, strong coffee has been flowing like a mountain brook during a thaw, I got to begin my day with two dearest friends after a slumber party (there's nothing a whole lot more fun than a grown-up slumber party), my children have been especially spry, sweet and hilarious today, the weekend is quickly approaching. It's just a tequila kind of day.