17 June 2010

LONG DISTANCES, 17 JUNE


Morning coffee from this cute little spot on Sutter. Strong and fortifying for my walk to the Ferry Building at the Embarcadero.


And at Book Passage, guess who just happened to be signing his new book?! I met Anthony Bourdain!!! My heart was beating so fast and way up in my throat, I forgot to ask if I might nominate him for president...but I'm pretty sure someone already did. He had a Red Bull and a to-go box from Boccalone Salumeria, the quintessential Bourdain pairing.


The aforementioned salumeria, Chris Cosentino's fine establishment that purveys "Tasty Salted Pig Parts." yes.


I may or may not have consumed all three of these French macarons from the darn-cutest little place called Miette. Rose Geranium, Parisian Pistachio and Chocolate Lavender. Oh Holy Sweetness From Above (but not too sweet)! I have done a lot of audible moaning while eating solo here and there, but this may have been the most obscene of all instances. And this coming from a girl who would rather have a pickle and potato chips before a chocolate bar, but wowza, I was undone.


My hors d'oeurve from Tacolicious, slow-cooked goat meat in a tortilla, yum.


SFMoMA, Kahlo.


SFMoMA, Diebenkorn.


SFMoMA, Chairs by the likes of the Eameses, et al.


An afternoon sit-a-spell in Union Square. I and the girls at the table next to me were suddenly serenaded by a fellow who needed some change for a hot dog. He sang to the others ("I know you wanna leave me, but I refuse to let you go...") and then turned to me and just asked for some change. "Where's my song?" I asked. Oh boy. "I got sunshiiiiine on a cloudy day..." I had to help him when he got to the "the bees envy me" -- he blanked on the lyrics. I gave him all of the silver coins in my purse and asked what he preferred on his dog. Mustard only. Weirdly charming.

Currently dressing for and looking forward to a meal at RN74.