01 February 2011

ON THIS PARTICULAR TUESDAY...

Listening to:
To my best recollection, this is the only album I have ever bought on the very day it was released. Never have I taken part in such a musical phenomenon (just check out any/all of the dazzling reviews they've gotten in less than 24 hours) as these two lovelies have created in the entertainment industry on this first day of February. (And it's worth every penny of the low-low $7.99 I paid for it.) I'll go on and on about my favorite tracks at a later time but will leave you with a few lyrics to this song, which I heard live for the first time at The Second Annual Billy Reid Shindig in Florence, Alabama this past summer. I stood in the throng of sweaty, plaid-clad folk and let hot tears fall down my already flushed cheeks. The candles flickering in the Ball jars on worn, scraped plank tables cast just the right lighting for falling apart. I leave you with these for reasons which should be plain as daylight if you, dear reader, know at least one single girl....
I miss you
but I haven't met you
Oh but I want to

Snacking on:
God help me, Barnum's Animal Crackers. Matt had a read-through for The Glass Menagerie at the house tonight and generously provided kid-friendly snacks for his actors (Goldfish and animal crackers....errr, juice box, anyone?). I'll be damned if the siren song of those tart-sweet, fine crumb-luscious bits didn't waft into my head from across the kitchen. Hard to quit.

Happily anticipating:
Crawling into my dear, soft bed and falling asleep to the sounds of wailing winds, the gusts of which could get up to 45 MPH this night. Bring it, Mother Nature. I'm tucked right in.

Turning over in my head:
This poem I read tonight while in the captivity of my bedroom....

Where We Are
Gerald Locklin

i envy those
who live in two places:
new york, say, and london;
wales and spain;
l.a. and paris;
hawaii and switzerland.

there is always the anticipation of the change;
the chance that what is wrong
is the result of where you are.
i have always loved both the freshness of arriving
and the relief of leaving. with
two homes every move would be
a homecoming.
i am not even considering the weather,
hot or cold, dry or wet; i am talking about hope.

Feeling:
Soft, small, undiscovered, weary. But assured and quite sanguine.