28 January 2010

WHERE IS LOVE?

DISCLAIMER: Forgive the cheesy montage of badly composed, super-pixelated, seventies-era photographs of Ms. Kral in this video. It's the only "recording" I could find that would play nicely with blogger.com.

The tune was written by a chap named Lionel Bart and was originally heard in the 1960 West End hit, Oliver!. The first time I heard it, it was sung by a tow-headed little Cockney grade-school boy who could scarcely squeak it out. This version might be the most beautiful I've heard, and really showcases the song as the gorgeous piece of art that it is. The way she pronounces "wil-low tree...." -- there's something so smooth, resonant and eased about it. Then there is the matter of the beauty of these lyrics and why they speak particularly to me the way they do. So without further ado, enjoy (and ignore the photos).....



Where is love?
Does it fall from skies above?
Is it underneath the willow tree
That I've been dream of?
Where is he
Who I close my eyes to see?
Will I ever know the sweet "hello"
That's only meant for me?
Who can say where he may hide?
Must I travel far and wide?
'Til I am beside the someone who
I can mean something to ...
Where is love?